02 January 2006

A bunch of us

went for a walk along a coastal path this afternoon. Unfortunately, and unusually for me, I didn't take a camera with me. Of course the weather was perfect for landscape photography - no wind and perfect light. We walked to an area called Primrose Bay which Kriss and myself haven't visited for a number of years. In the past we have had barbeques there and we have spent a number of times just being there, sitting on the rocks and tossing stones into the water. So the plan is that we will re-visit at the weekend and hopefully I'll get some good pics for you to take a look at.

I can't go into details at this time but I would covet your prayers for me tomorrow, Tuesday. Please pray that I will be looking to God for His will in my life and that I will listen to Him.

As I look forward I want 2006 to be the year that I get really 'real' with my love for Jesus. I pray that I will be able to grab hold of the divine appointments that God will give me and that I will share His love. As believers we are ambassadors for Christ and we are called to be His witnesses. We also need to encourage our 'brothers and sisters' and to be there for each other.

I was saddened to read Kat's experience of fellowshipping over at
"Happenstance and Geography" and the quote from a pastor who said that modern day Christians have a lot of head knowledge but not a whole lot of application is pretty much spot on. Yes, this year there have been examples of Christian love, especially to people affected by hurricane Katrina. And I guess that there are many more such examples of individual and corporate Christian love and support. But I know from experience that as Christians we can, and need to, do better, especially to each other. I guess, as fallen human beings, we tend to put our own needs first and can become blind to our brother's/sister's need. We may not 'like' every Christian brother/sister we come into contact with but we need to remember that we are called to "exhort one another daily" [Hebrews 3v13] and to "love one another" [1 John 4v7] and this "love" is a social/moral love. [Strong's #25]

Kat, if you read this, I praise God that you have stirred me. Your post churned up many memories of past Christmas and New Year 'celebrations' and like you I remember times that I believe that I was happier as a non-believer. And some of those times were spent in Germany when I was in the RAF before and after marriage. Some of those times I remember with embarrassment and I guess we could both recall some horror stories!

Kat, I pray that you will find peace and fellowship in the Lord and that you will be empowered to love in that pure way that God loves each and everyone of us. May God bless you Kat.

In other news: Everton at home to Charlton Athletic won 3 v 1 ! So another good result for us which moves us up to 6th from the bottom of the league - it may not sound a lot but it's the best position we have been in so far this season.

When we got home this afternoon after our walk there was a message on the answering machine from an old buddy down in Liverpool. We have not spoken for over 10 years and I've just got off the phone with him after catching up. Del and his wife Linda are members of a small fellowship that meets near to where we used to live as teenagers! It was great catching up after all this time - we were great pals in Liverpool, growing up in the fifties and sixties!!! So next time I'm down in Liverpool to go and see Everton we will meet up again.

That's about it for now. This must be one of my longest posts ever.

Catch up with y'all later.