safe and well in my lovely cottage in the north of east of Scotland. And yet across the Atlantic ocean in the beautiful city of New Orleans there are folks, who I have got to know through blogging, facing the biggest tests of their lives. They are facing devastation in the form of hurricane Katrina! I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have to secure your home as best as you can and then abandon it! Crystal and Fish, you and your family are in our prayers.
Everton lost away at Fulham 1 v 0 yesterday. We never get anything when we play away against London teams but yesterday I think we were still suffering the after effects of playing away in Spain on Wednesday night. If we progress in the UEFA Cup then we wil have more European midweek games to contend with. So it's going to be a long hard season - but that's the price of success!
I felt detached from the morning service today. My back has been sore all week and I've had a bit of a head cold; sometimes I feel out of the loop as far as the fellowship is concerned. Last night our church secretary called to confirm some details for the notices and in the course of the conversation she mentioned that the next cell meeting for the cell leaders was to be on this coming Thursday 1st September. Now myself and Kriss knew nothing of this and I must admit I was just a little put out! However, this morning, whilst talking with Vic we realised that at the last meeting we had left very promptly at the end of the meeting and Pastor Dave had announced the next meeting date after we had left! And of course he has been away on holiday since then! So it's easy to see how things can affect peoples' attitudes; you have to be careful when reacting to stuff cos it can just get out of hand and then Satan gets a foothold in your life and starts to whisper lies to you!
On another blog I read some comments which mentioned a book by Brennan Manning called "The Ragamuffin Gospel". Now I have to admit that I have never heard of this book or the author. The comments about it were positive and I decided to find out more and I came across this: http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/beware-ragamuffingospel.html
It never ceases to amaze me that Christian thinking can be so diverse. I make no further comment and leave it with you.
This week I start my home study course for working with children in after school clubs. The title is "Playwork" and it should take about a year to complete. There will be on the job assessments and lots of homework. I can't believe that God is leading me back into a life of study at 56!!! I have never been good at studying and I am certainly not an academic; but, God willing, I will complete the course and be a qualified childcare worker at age 57! Please pray for me.
I am listening to the news at the moment and it's not sounding good as far as Katrina is concerned; it's due to hit Louisiana tomorrow and it's a Cat 5 storm - it was only Cat 3 when it hit Florida and they have a declared state of emergency, so goodness knows what it's going to do to New Orleans!
Well we have promised ourselves an early night - the alarm is set for 6am - so we are off to bed.
Goodnight and God Bless.