at home today. Kriss has gone with some other folk from church to a day conference down in Glasgow. A few months ago I felt that it was right to absent myself from these sort of meetings; at least for the forseeable future. I have never been that comfortable with "ministry" days or meetings where you are exhorted to "get right with God". I know that for some people it is like getting a spiritual battery charge but I feel that a lot of the time it can distract you from what God wants you to hear and do at a local level. Yes, you can be equipped at these events but, at the moment, I'll hopefully hear from God through Pastor Dave and my brothers and sisters in Christ at Elgin Community Church.
It's going to be a long day as we were awake at 0510 and I'm not expecting Kriss back home until after 10pm. However, I've managed to get a lot done around the house this morning as I didn't go back to sleep when Kriss left and was up and about by 7am!
Kenny, over at "coffee in the morning", highlighted the other day what is happening to Christians around the world. I know that in various countries Christians have been persecuted for many years but it seems to me that the opportunities for subtle persecution of Christian believers are growing. In the UK recently we had a situation were "Jerry Springer: The Opera" was broadcast on the BBC. The BBC received a record number of protests; in fact the number of protests was a record for any programme ever in the history of broadcasting; but of course the broadcast still went ahead. Now just a few weeks earlier, in Birmingham, a protest stopped the production of a play that the local Sikh community found offensive. The manager of the theatre felt that there was such a threat to the staff and cast of the theatre that their safety could not be guaranteed even with the prescence of the police. Now whilst I do not agree with the militant activities of "Christian Voice" it seems to me that we are very much on the road to Christianity being marginalised but then I suppose we are to expect this the closer we get to the end times! But the irony is that as Christianity becomes marginalised then we will probably be able to become protected as an ethnic minority!
Everton are at home to Blackburn Rovers tomorrow afternoon. Blackburn are in the bottom half of the league so we should win but you just never know with Everton. It's on TV so son will be coming over, not only to see the match but to eat a free lunch as well!
Just had a call from Kriss - they're on lunch break - it's been a good morning session.
Friends of ours became grandparents for the first time the other day - they are younger than us! I guess I'm jealous! Hopefully I'll be able to post a photo after I've posted this.
Be back tomorrow with Everton's result.