31 March 2006

To 'prophet of god'

This post is being written for the attention of the above named person. It is in the public domain as I have no other way of replying to 'pog'. I have decided not to allow comments on this post but if you wish to email me please do so at the email on my profile.

I would also be greatly encouraged if you, pog, emailed me - I would not pass on your email to anyone and I would respect your confidentiality if that is what you wanted.

Pog, whilst the internet has opened up so many opportunities for so many people and organisations to make direct contact with each other it lacks personality. That is to say that when someone posts a comment on a blog, for instance, their is no inflection or tone. So if something direct or hard is said, it comes across, sometimes, as a rant or an act of railing.

eg: When you commented on the Old Vic's comment which referred to Northern Ireland I think you missed the fact that he had used inverted commas around the word 'Christian'; maybe he shouldn't have used a capital 'C'. TOV and I have spoken about this and if you reread his comment I think you will realise that he was referring to so called 'christians' who use religion to justify their ends. Your comment about unrepentant murderers is spot on. Note that I said religion which, in my opinion, is man made.

I was taught a long time ago, through personal experience, and by a dear and wise dad, that if I was about to say something possibly confrontational or possibly challenging then it would be helpful to preface the remarks with something like, "I would suggest that....." or "Do you not think that......". I believe this approach makes a world of difference and what you have to say is better received.

When I have read some of your comments in the past I have been reminded of two situations where God's Word was being presented in totally opposite ways.

A few years ago I was visiting my daughter and we were in the town centre. It was a busy Saturday afternoon and there was a crowd of people ahead of us. Eventually, ahead of us, we could hear someone shouting out at the top of their voice. As we drew closer the crowd ahead of us was moving off to the left, taking a detour around a man who was holding a Bible in his hands and who was shouting out about God's wrath and that we were all doomed to an eternal life of damnation if we did not turn to Christ. He was totally right in what he was saying but nobody was listening!

Back track a few years. I'm in my home city of Liverpool in Williamson Square. Some friends from Faith Mission have said that they will be there presenting the Gospel. So I go into the square and watch a man gently draw in a crowd with grace, love and a heart for people, and share the Gospel with them. I watch as his helpers draw alongside the watchers and listeners and present them with tracts and in a lot of cases have good conversations with them.

Now it can be argued that despite the crowd of people taking a detour around the ranting man someone may have been challenged by what they briefly heard and may well have turned to Christ as a result. The quiet presentation in Liverpool may not have produced any fruit at all but I doubt that.

Pog, I do not want to ban you from my blog. But it saddens me when brothers in Christ become confrontational; what sort of witness is that? But, I would suggest that you have been hurtful when you have commented to some peoples' comments. You are right to correct when you think it is necessary but do you not see that there is a way to do it that opens up dialogue rather than confrontation?

Which brings me to another point.

Why do you not want dialogue? I ask this question because you do not have an open profile and therefore no email address. Friends and I have prayed for you and have done so because we want dialogue not confrontation. Again this is not so we can ignore the truth but so that we can encourage and learn from each other. I referred to you once as an internet bully and I apologise for that. But I would like to think that in the light of how we are corresponding now you could see what I meant. It is difficult to accept what is perceived as negative criticism from an unidentified person with whom you have no personal contact, which I accept is difficult over the internet.

Our community of people who gather under the name of Elgin Community Church have dealt with many problematic situations over the years. And Pastor Dave has taken on his role reluctantly, much like yourself as a prophet. But he carries it out with Godly diligence. Yes, we get things wrong and we also get things right before God. I think we recognise our shortcomings and we address them as best as we can, with God's Grace, in the light of God's Word.

I have visited Last Trumpet Ministeries and have found it in the main excellent reading. And I will continue to visit it. The March newsletter in particular was very informative. As Christians we need to be aware of the direction the world is taking. I have long held the view that the majority of people in positions of power are in it for their own ends and consequently are in the grip of Satan.

We have a responsibilty to sow the seed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and I believe we need to do that in love - not the love that the world knows and uses but the love of God through Christ. We have a responsibility to show that Satan is the deceiver of the world.

Pog, I love you in Christ and I / we want dialogue with you. I would love to visit with you - if you are in the USA it would be good to have you on our list of blog buddies that we will hopefully visit, God willing, when we go on our round USA trip in a few years time.

I pray that you will email me and that we can have dialogue. The last thing I want is to part on bad terms. But if you decide not to email me then I respect your decision. However I welcome your considered comments in the future so that you can encourage your Christian Bretheren in truth and love.

You have accepted a difficult mantle and I pray that you will bless and be blessed.

Pog, may God keep you and bless you and may grace abound in your Godly calling.