08 March 2006

This post is dedicated to


the memory of my brother William.

He would have been 50 today and I am quite sure that he would have been at Anfield tonight to see Liverpool v Benfica. The match is the second leg of a European Champions League match. Liverpool are 0 v 1 down from the first match and are also the current European Champions.

He was a Liverpool supporter whilst I am an Everton supporter - city rivals. We enjoyed our friendly rivalry.

Whilst I was in town this afternoon I went into a gift shop and bought a CD & DVD with music and memories of 1956 - the year of Will's birth.

William died after being in a coma for 7 months after a road accident. I miss him still but I remember him as a vibrant person who would have made a great husband and father. His girl friend was killed in the accident.

I remember when Will visited us just after son D was born. Will spent Christmas '75 with us and he just loved being with his nephew.

Will was a motorcyclist but had the accident whilst driving his car. But one memory that really stands out for me is from 30 years ago this month. I was on a course at RAF Lossiemouth [which is just 6 miles from where we now live] and Kriss and 10 week old son D were still living in Lincoln - a distance of about 400 miles. One weekend I arranged to meet up with Will at Doncaster which is about 2/3 of the 400 miles - I had a ride to Doncaster. Will was going to meet me on his motorbike, which he did but forgot to bring any protective clothing for me!!! Boy was I cold when we got to Lincoln!!! I remember stopping at one point and Will spent about 10 minutes 'punching' me about the body to get the circulation going again!!!

Will was my best man at my wedding and that is another great memory. [Liverpool have just gone 1 v 0 down, against Benfica - so they are 2 v 0 down overall]

So here's to Will; the brother I had but lost; but I have so many good memories and they cannot be taken away. Thanks kidda.