very lazy these last few days since recovering from the sickness I suffered last week. Apathy sometimes takes hold of me even when I know there is important stuff to be done and deadlines are fast approaching!
But I started getting stuff sorted out today and I feel better for doing that - a sense of achievement I guess.
Today is my birthday and I am now 56. Sometimes I'd like to be 36 again and sometimes I think I am 66 or even 76 but I am 'me' no matter what age I am. My mum & dad met in Liverpool on the evening of VE (Victory in Europe) Day, 8 May, 1945 and although dad was subsequently posted to Singapore they got married and here I am! I still have the original photo that mum sent to dad of herself whilst he was in Singapore. Although my relationship with mum wasn't the best, I know that because of years of depression and multiple schlerosis she suffered frustration and was unable to be the mum that I so desperately wanted her to be.
Dad was, and still is, my hero. He spent many years caring for a wife who had been a vivacious young woman whilst still holding down a job that required him to work a 3 shift pattern of earlies (6am - 2pm), lates (2 - 10pm) and nights (10pm - 6am). I still don't know how they managed to pay for things like school photos, sports kit, days out and birthday/christmas presents. Dad was not perfect and I recognise that he had many frustrations and problems to face but one thing he used to say that I'll never forget: "If you can't say anything good about someone then say nothing at all".
His youngest son, my brother, died in 1978 at the age off 22 and I've read the diary that dad kept during the time that my brother was in a coma. Very private obviously but such profound writing from a man who left school at 14 and whose first job was as a butcher's boy. When he was called up it was as a Royal Marine and he was a coxswain of a landing craft on D-day. His generation gave everything for us in more ways than we will ever realise.
We had an excellent weekend at church with a marvellous teaching day on Saturday and two marvellous services on Sunday. I was very encouraged on Saturday at a personal level as I was reminded that although I may not be setting the world on fire, God still has a plan for my life and I just need to be willing and available.
Everton have qualified for the qualifying rounds of the European Champions League which is a marvellous achievement for a team who everyone thought would be relegated from the Premiership! We have finished 4th with two games left to play and tomorrow we are away at Arsenal who are due to finish 2nd. It will be a hard game for us but our supporters will have a good night out knowing that we have already qualified for European competition! Click here!
The job is going ok and I'm learning to be patient and understanding of young children again! Very frustrating at times but the hassles are worthwhile when a two year old trusts you when they put their hand in yours to be escorted to the minibus. Wonderful!